Bachelour of Nursing, (B.Sc., Nursing) Course
B. Sc Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing is an undergraduate Nursing course. Nursing is a healthcare profession focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life from conception to death. During the course it is taught the nurses that how to work in a large variety of specialties where they work independently and as part of a team to assess, plan, implement and evaluate care. Nursing science is a field of knowledge based on the contributions of nursing scientist through peer reviewed scholarly journals and evidenced-based practice. The duration of the course is four years but it depends on institute to institute as per their rules. The value of the course is an immense and it is job orienting in nature. The course is being provided by many colleges throughout the country.
• Nursing as a career is really lucrative not only for women but also for men. Due to fast expansion of health-related industries, there is a hike in the need for nurses as well. New hospitals are coming up rapidly. There are multi-specialty hospitals that are always in the need of specialized nurses in various disciplines.
• People who have undergone nursing degree programs and are having degrees in nursing are in high demand. One should remember that higher the degree in nursing, higher is the specialization amounting to a higher salary as well.
• After successful completion of Bachelor of Science in the field of Nursing, the graduates or the candidates can either work as a nurse in a good reputed hospital or clinic or take up higher studies such as Masters in Nursing after their Bachelor's:
1. Passed the two year Pre-University examination or equivalent as recognized by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, with science subjects, wise Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
2. Obtained at least 45% of the total marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology of the qualifying examination. If belonging to a scheduled Caste or a scheduled tribe, should have obtained not less than 40% of the total marks in science subjects and English of the qualifying examination.
3. Students of Vocational Courses: 10+2 vocational course of State Government of Kerala with 5 subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English in addition to vocational subjects conducted is considered equivalent to +2 Examination/Karnataka Pre University course form the academic year 2005-06 and onwards. Marks obtained by the candidate in English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology to be considered for assessing the eligibility as per the ordinances governing Basic B.Sc Nursing course of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences vide Notification No: RGUHS/SEF/EC.B.Sc Nsg/191/2005-06 dated 18.05.2006.
4. Candidate should have completed 17 years on or before 31st day of December of the year admission.
5. Candidate shall be medically fit.
A candidate is required to put in at least 80% attendance in theory and practical subjects separately in a recognized institution approved by and affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka. The candidate shall complete the prescribed course satisfactorily to be eligible to appear for the respective examinations.